Tuesday, January 4, 2011

laugh, rutabaga.

i went to the grocery store. i was feeling adventurous. i lingered in the produce section.

i bought a rutebega.

the girl at the check out looked at me like i was crazy. "ruta-wha?" were her exact words i believe. she told me it was pretty much a turnip. i insisted that it was a rutebaga.

i have no earthly idea what to do with said rutabega. all i know is i have this song in my head that i just cant quite shake...

rutabaga sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bush is he...


***EDIT***
i know that the real words to this song are about a kukabura. i did make it successfully through elementary school, after all. but this knowledge will not/did not stop me from spending a few days singing about a rutabaga :)

4 comments:

Anastasia said...

it's 'Kukubura" sitting in the old gum tree.
I fear your rutabaga has gotten the last laugh.

Miss Brenda said...

You make me laugh

Abi said...

Sorry you got the song wrong:
Olivia the pig's friend Daisy sings a song about Rutabegas.
"I'm tellin' ya, I'm a rutabega, if you like me lets hear you holla, don't give me lip, I'm not a turnip! Hey world I'm a rutabege!"
So you tell that check out lady not to give your rutabega any lip.... :)

Miss Brenda said...

Deb at the bank made a rutebega last night for supper. Cubed it up along with a carrot and oven roasted them with a little olive oil. Rutebegas rule. Also, did you know you can buy goat cheese at the deli?