Tuesday, July 28, 2009

i love mahaffey.

Mahaffey Camp Song 2009
(the talent show has gone digital)

the milkshakes. (and waiting in line for four or five hours for them)
the interns.
the golf carts. (the most reliable form of transportation)
the sports tournaments. (that got rained out)
the mud.
the speaker in the youth tab.
the old people. (they've been here since 1894 too.. and the reason the dining hall exists)
the maintenance men.

but seriously. the milkshakes.

I havent missed a year of Mahaffey Camp since I was 2. Even if i only ever made it up for a couple days, (or just a day the past two years) I made sure I got there. There is photographic evidence of this (for most years at least). Let me tell you, it wasnt about the pristine accomodations, or the amazing food, the great t-shirts at the craft store, the cool buzzing bees from the bookstore, or the giant beach ball at game time, or even those wicked cool crafts in the afternoon. and while i looked forward very much to the sno-cones after craft time (and those bees were the bomb), the main reason i went and kept going back was because of who showed up. My family was there. my friends were there. (the ones who you grow up with and even though you only see them once or twice a year you still consider them among your best friends)
and God shows up at Mahaffey Camp. without fail.
"For where two or three (or a couple hundred) come together in my name, there am I with them" Matt 18:20

(AND the milkshakes! It has been said that you can't go to Heaven until you have been to Mahaffey Camp. and you can't say that you have been to Mahaffey Camp until you've had a milkshake. i think i'm pretty well covered)

4 comments:

Abi said...

you mean the old people have been IN the dining hall sitting at a table with a coffee cup SINCE 1894? Hope you enjoyed a milkshake for me.

Abi said...

Heard from mom, best of luck, let me know how it goes.

Brenda's Man said...

They move the old people out of the dining hall every couple days to sweep the floor.

Brenda's Man said...

Be sure to send your mother a copy of the picture by the youth tab to add to the refrigerator.